|Home | Contact Us | Social Responsibility | Financial Affairs Home | UCSC Home|
© UC Santa Cruz
Purchasing's Objectives and Responsibilities
Summary: This page explains the role of Purchasing at UCSC to vendors.
Our goal is to acquire (buy, lease, rent, or lease-purchase) those things our UCSC departments need at the lowest economical cost consistent with quality and time considerations. Specifically, Purchasing:
• Ensures requirements for competition have been met, any negotiations have been conducted according to established guidelines, and prices to be paid are reasonable in the particular circumstances
• Establishes annual price agreements and contracts in accordance with sound procurement practices. Such contracts and agreements include participation in UC-wide Planned Purchasing Programs, campus local agreements, speciality contracts and consortium agreements.
• Maintains suitable sources of supply by facilitating supplier outreach for campus requirements and ensuring equal opportunity in University business contracting.
• Assumes a proactive role with campus customers to assure the effective management and delivery of quality and expert procurement services
• Administers and maintains purchase records for federal, state and internal procurement audits